by Nathan A. Cherry, 06/29/2011
Martinsburg, WV – Here’s a little quiz for you. Question one, should the government be funding controversial (even dangerous) groups that promote anti-family values in public schools? Questions two, what is one of the most dangerous organizations that the government could fund (with your tax dollars) that will seek to strip traditional gender lines and destroy traditional marriage?
Do you know the answers? Answer number one is no! The government should not fund any private organization. If it does it creates a hypocritical double standard when it decides not to fund other groups; or all groups. Answer number two is GLSEN (the Gay, Lesbian and Straight Education Network).
It seems, according to a recent report, that GLSEN has been awarded a government grant that will last the next five years. So, to be clear, your tax money will now be funding one of the most liberal homosexual activist groups in the nation.
But this is not just an activist group. This group seeks to push, normalize, and indoctrinate school children of all ages in the ways and lifestyle of homosexuality. They seek especially; it would seem, to get into elementary and primary schools. There is no doubt that one of their goals is to “train” children in the “joys” of the homosexual lifestyle from a very young age. Here are some of the things that GLSEN’s “Internal Implementation Team” will include in their program for students:
Among other things, the Kit:
- Promotes GLSEN’s controversial recommended book list for use in schools.
- Encourages teachers to display homosexual-themed materials from “LGBT organizations.” (LGBT=lesbian, gay, bisexual, transgender).
- Recommends that schools “celebrate LGBT events” and incorporate lesbian, gay, bisexual and transgender themes into curriculum and school literature. “Whenever possible,” the guide tells educators to give examples of “same-sex couples” and “LGBT parents.”
- Gives teachers an “LGBT-Inclusive School Checklist” to see if their school has, among other things, a “gender-neutral dress code” and “gender-neutral” bathrooms.
- GLSEN also wants educators to avoid using words like “husband” or “wife” in the classroom and avoid using gender-specific pronouns. A vocabulary sheet included in the Kit offers alternative pronouns, such as “zie” rather than “he” or “she.” And “hir” rather than “him” or “her.”
I, in disbelief, find myself arriving at the same conclusion Citizenlink.com did:
“So basically, if GLSEN has its way, the concept of ‘male’ and ‘female’ and traditional marriage—and even basic English language pronouns—will be rendered absolutely meaningless to the average public school student.”
Is this the society in which we want our kids raised? Will parents wake up to realize that this group will be undermining the values held by so many families? I can’t answer the question for you.
But you need to answer these questions quickly before your child finds himself sitting in a class that strips him of every fiber of morality and traditional value you hoped he would grow to learn.
About Nathan Cherry
Nathan Cherry is the chief editor and blogger for the Engage Family Minute blog, the official blog of the FPCWV. He serves also as the Regional Development Coordinator as a liaison to the pastor's of West Virginia. He is a pro-life, pro-traditional marriage, pro-religious freedom conservative. He is also a husband, father, pastor, author, musician, and follower of Jesus Christ.